Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Big noodles with crab at Nguyễn Thông

Big noodles or I always call it "Vietnamese udon" with crab or bánh canh cua at Nguyễn Thông (some people say Kỳ Đồng, as the eatery located at the join of these two streets) - very popular. Nowadays as trend, the shop is named after the owner - Bánh canh cua Bà Dạng (Mme Dạng's udon with crab)!

                  Udon with crab or bánh canh cua Bà Dạng at Nguyễn Thông.


I've been to this place long long ago, when I just came back from my overseas study, it was in early 1990s. My cousin took me there and treated me to this "udon with crab". He's from Huế (Central Vietnam), so I believed he knew where is the best place for Huế food. Bánh canh cua is one of Huế's traditional delicacies. In different areas, we also have "udon with crab" in different styles.  

The store was small, simple-looking place, there is a small alley next to the store, and someone, in competition, was also selling the same dish nearby, at the alley's entrance. Nowadays the competition has gone, the old store is getting bigger, cleaner, even with a space upstairs for business.

                 Their signature noodles are big, thick, strong and sticky! 

The most famous from here could be the "udon", unlike the usual noodles that sometime we buy from the market for homemade "bánh canh", or even at many other places, here they have their own recipe for noodles. The "udon" is big, thick, sticky and specially strong and that makes the dish special.

                Add a bit of chilli paste, the smell of chilli, vinegar and soup - simply irresistible!   

The soup is also thick, full of crab meat, crab cake. It would be more irresistible, if we add a little bit of chilli paste, the smell of chilli, vinegar and soup - could make you salivate! After my first time, I did come back here few more times, sometime with friends, sometime for take-away, but then suddenly, without any reason, I couldn't stand the smell of this bánh canh for quite a while. Please don't get me wrong, the dish is still very good, it's just because of me! Last night, I've been back there with my friend for the first time after a few years. Instead of the udon, I did order a plate of "everything"! 

         My "everything" - a combination of 5 typical traditional Huế cakes: bánh bèo, bánh nậm...

                 bánh ít trần, bánh bột lọc...there is one more cake - a bit crispy from the inside...

               Bánh bèo here is not bad, but I ordered an extra "bánh nậm", wrapped in leaves...

             the waitress quickly unwrapped them and here my extra bánh nậm, not only unwrapped but also folded! 

--------------------------------
Bánh canh cua Bà Dạng, 59 Bis Nguyễn Thông, Q3, HCMC   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...