Pages

Sunday, June 01, 2014

Mexican food in Saigon at Khói Thơm

I'm sorry that I don't have much posts about eating out, good food in Saigon these days. Over the past few months Saigon is burning, it's too hot, so going out, eating out is no longer a pleasure. Is it a good excuse? Or maybe I'm just lazy, especially before and after my adventure to Son Doong, the beauty of the world's largest cave still "obsessed" me probably more than any food out there in the street!

                  "Khói Thơm" - a Mexican restaurant in Saigon, it was empty during Saturday lunch time.

Today I had a lunch with a friend I haven't met for a while. When we discussed where to go, I love to go back to my favourite Au Parc but he convinced me to try another one - in the same group with Au Parc, according to him, Khói Thơm, a Mexican restaurant. I agreed just because I quite like the name "Khói Thơm", literally means "perfumed smoke". But then, at the end, we both realised Au Parc could be a better choice.

                    Such a nice corner but no one, later few customers came, still non-occupied that corner!   

               It was empty from the outside and very few customers inside, hiding from the heat...

"Khói Thơm" located in one of nice, quiet streets in Saigon - Ngo Thoi Nhiem, their interior decoration is nice with colourful chairs, table clothes, wall paintings...but when I came - I was the only guest in the entire house! It was Saturday afternoon, right at the lunch time!

                       Deep fried sweet potato, homemade tortilla, and salsa, it was ok! 

               Salad - grilled seabass, corn, bean...with citrus chili oil was also ok, the portion quite small. 

My friend came right after me, I thought I will order burrito, just to compare with another burrito place in Saigon, but by somehow we ordered other dishes. I didn't check carefully the menu, I'm not an expert in Mexican, Cuban delicacies. So whatever could be fine with me...

                                Beef brisket enchiladas served with Spanish rice, I didn't like it. 

After us there was some more customers came, even now sitting at home, witting this, I still remember who was there, how they look like...Not because of my good memory, just because it was very few of them, around us at that time.

                   Only two customers tried these Mexican sombrero during our lunch time...

                                           This big jar of mojito - more than ⅓ of our bill...

To me and to my friend, food was average. I didn't like it or maybe we didn't order the best from their menu! I don't know and do hope "Khói Thơm" can offer something much better. My friend said it was better before with many "free offers" (!?), was very crowded at the weekend...

                            Another drink - mixture of red dragon fruit, kumquat, lime and basil... 
         
We spent several hours in the restaurant, because it was raining outside, the waiter offered us the dessert menu, we didn't order anything but when the bill came, it was almost 40 USD for a lunch with only two simple dishes and a jar of mojito! I'm afraid "Khói Thơm" is in my wish list for my next  eating out, but to be fair, I would give myself another try for another time. In case you are curious where is the place, here is the address : 29 Ngô Thời Nhiệm, district 3, Saigon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...