Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

Curry and noodles (bún cà ri)

Curry with noodle (bún cà ri), I suddenly remember this dish after posting a blog about bún (rice & white noodle), yeah we love curry so much so we create an excellent combination between our tradition noodle with curry, I just found one place "A Quay" at 126 Trần Bình Trọng street, they have duck or chicken curry with rice noodle, the soup is good, not too strong curry flavor, and if you add a bit chili, it's really nice! 35,000 VND per bowl!

Chicken curry with rice noodles at A Quay! 
Now about just curry as a dish, we have Indian curry, Japanese curry, Thai curry and Vietnamese curry... I try all of them, each curry has different taste, as far as I know tomato paste is important ingredient for Indian curry, while Japanese curry using onions to thicken the sauce, Thai curry always with lemongrass flavor and our Vietnamese mostly with coconut milk and a bit sweet!
I love curry and but then realized we can cook curry not only with chicken but also with fish, beef, duck, vegetables...I remember my first trip to New Delhi, where for the first time I discover the whole curry buffet at my hotel! To my big surprise... they serve only curry : potato curry, chili curry, eggplant curry along with beef, chicken, fish and many others - also curry!
I don't know why Vietnamese love to add coconut milk, or milk to curry, more tasty? These days I prefer stronger curry flavor, spicy and thickened sauce! Where to try curry in Saigon? We have more and more Indian restaurants, I've been many times to the one in Hai Ba Trung street, near to Park Hyatt, it's good, and also to another one, smaller, named "Alibaba"...not bad!
It should be goat curry! 
Goat curry at Lau De Bay Hong
But one of my most favorites is goat curry (càri dê) in Tran Quang Khai, Lẩu dê Bảy Hồng! Small place in very small alley, very local! If we go there after 7-8PM, curry probably sold out! I and my friend have been there last night, we ordered curry and grilled goat breast! 80,000 VND/ dish! By some how I feel it's just ok compared to few years ago! My taste changed?

I've been few times to quite unique place for curry behind Muslim mosque next to Sheraton hotel, the taste is just OK but quite popular, because of god location,  many offices nearby!
In front of Sheraton, there is one Indian restaurant, I didn't know about this place before but I was told it has been there for long! The menu offer quite many different dishes, but I mostly go for beef, mouton, goat...! The lady owner is 72 year old, charming, quiet, but keeps giving instructions to staffs! I would recommend you this place if you prefer not too strong and not too spicy curry, the price is acceptable - around 10USD/ person!

Indian curry restaurant in front of Sheraton in HCMC
72 year old lady owner of Bombay place

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...