Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Cambodian dessert soup in Saigon

Some time ago, even before my trip to Siem Reap, I heard about the Cambodian market in Sài Gòn, where you can buy different specialities of our neighboring country, or to taste some special Cambodian dishes. And it's not far from my area - Lê Hồng Phong market! To be honest I have no idea where is this market until I realized it's so close to the popular wholesale flower market Hồ Thị Kỷ!
We went there after the sticky rice at Xôi Gà No 1, we were full so decided to go for only sweets! Actually there is quite small selection in this food market. I don't know how many but the most popular for students could be the stall selling Cambodian dessert soup!

             The owner is so nice, she helped me to set up a nice bowl for my photo shooting! 

            The Cambodian dessert soup has quite interesting ingredients: from steamed pumpkin to ...


            the tamarind seeds, eggs cake, green mung bean cake, glass jelly, palmyra palm fruit... 

          only after I took some photos, she added coconut milk, durian paste and condensed milk!  

Cambodian dessert is quite similar to Thai dessert which is quite popular in town, they have the same  taste from durian paste and condensed milk, but I have to say Cambodian is more unique with very special ingredients!
I like the whole small pumpkin with coconut paste inside. It looks so yummy and reminds me of the similar Korean dish: steamed sweet pumpkin!

           The steamed pumpkin with coconut paste inside, the taste is good, not too sweet! 


The combination of many tasty and colorful things is very special, unlike any dessert soup in Sai Gon. 
I like the tamarind seeds, the palmyra palm fruit is soft, the pumpkin is so smooth, not too sweet and tasty with the inside paste! 
The taste is rich thanks to the durian paste (but you can ask not to add it if you don't like the durian flavor!) and condensed milk! I just wonder if some roasted peanuts are added - it would be good! Maybe not! 


The owner should be a Vietnamese of Khmer origin, Mrs Huoi in her 60s, very nice. In case you want to try this unique sweets from the Golden Pagoda's country, here the address and contact details!

Quán chè Campuchia: 57/21A Hồ Thị Kỷ, P1, Q10. 
Tel: 08 3835 6955 or mobile: 0908 522 922! 
They do the delivery but only for the big order!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...