Pages

Sunday, August 04, 2013

The steak from the giant bird - the ostrich

I heard about this giant bird meat quite long time ago, when in Vietnam the ostrich suddenly became a big focus for many business people. It seems everyone, everything love to follow the trend, not only in fashion, lifestyle but also in business. Before snake, crocodile farms...nowadays yogurt, donut, milk tea stores...So, the ostrich farm business was one of those, back to late 90s.

When the first ostrich farms probably appeared in South of Vietnam, I was wondering what we could do with this giant bird? We only see them in the zoo and I never thought that we can have this bird in our table for lunch or dinner. Anyway, today we have ostrich steak, a quite popular dish and has been considered as healthy food. I did try snake porridge, fried crocodile meat, stew turtle...so I absolutely have no problem with ostrich, by somehow it took me even years to try it.

                The ostrich meat texture looks exactly like a beef  


People said crocodile meat tastes like chicken, and ostrich like beef. Before I guessed it should be similar to any other bird meat that we often eat, but no, the ostrich steak has strange taste to me. The strong texture, a bit sweet but that sweet taste is unlike any other meat taste that I knew.

              The ostrich steak served with sunny side up, liver paste, pork meat ball at Nam Son. 

Actually last Sunday I had a morning breakfast with my friends, we made even a list of where we can go for breakfast, we tried to avoid those places with rice noodles after a big scandal (some scientists confirmed that many rice noodles makers added a special chemical to whiten noodles, and that chemical very toxic. Yeah we do have a big problem with the food safety and hygiene here), so the bird steak, a healthy food was a top choice for us. And it was also the first time for me.  

                      Quite big portion for breakfast, I don't like the liver paste and the meat ball. 

                 Look yummy but I did expect more...at Nam Son steak place.

People seems like the place, it's quite busy business here by weekend, actually the menu offers you a large variety of dishes, including beefsteak, french fries...

                          My friend ordered a real hot beef steak, a smart choice...

              Anyway an ostrich steak combined with the other stuff was not bad for the first time guest...              

             it's served with some salad and French fries. It was big breakfast for me.  

Love to try the ostrich steak? You can try at Nam Son beefsteak at 200 bis Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, district 1, Saigon, opposite a famous Tao Dan park.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...