Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Noodles House - Minh Ký Mì Gia!


I think I have not only one post about my favorite noodles - egg noodles or we still call yellow noodles, in this blog. So many places in Sài gòn where we can have good noodles and probably everyone has their own place!

This morning my friend took me to a new place - not in Chinatown where is very popular for this kind of dish but to a house in the new area - exactly newly expanded and next to the Canal. Usually I don't like the surroundings there due to the smell from the canal, but luckily this morning I don't feel it or at least in the noodles house "Minh Ký Mì Gia" at 36 Hoàng Sa street!



Sunday morning so it's quite crowded but it's good that they have 2nd floor! We go upstairs!
Here they serve yellow and white noodles (hủ tiếu) with chicken, pork, prawn, pig kidney, fish or maybe something else that I can't remember when I asked the owner - a middle-aged man in big glasses!
I order yellow noodles with chicken and my friend - everything, i.e little of everything or we say in Vietnamese "thập cẩm"!


Mỳ thập cẩm - noodles with prawn, chicken, char siu, pig kidney..., according to my friend, what he likes the most here is the freshness of those toppings: prawn, kidney, fish...when he tastes!


I order noodles with chicken! And what I prefer here is the noodles - they are slightly bigger compared to the other places (or just my feelings!) and chewy! The soup is good and that's all I do expect from a noodles house! Good noodles and good soup!



The owner could be a Vietnamese of Chinese origin, that's why they still serve dim sum as well. We tried only the one filled with prawn and pork - "há cảo" ! They are good! 

          Xíu mại - pork meat ball! 


Now I realized that xíu mại is dim sum or one of them! Until today I keep thinking - xíu mại is just a name of our popular steamed pork ball with tomato sauce!! May be this pork meat ball was one of many kinds of dim sum but by some how Vietnamese like it very much and developed to a new dish separately! These days we can have xíu mại with bread, broken rice...!

Don't forget to dip dim sum in sate sauce that they serve only by request. Quite spicy!

            Há cảo - most popular dim sum, became a street food in Sài gòn!  


Here you still can order char way (giò cháo quẩy) to go with noodles or xí quách (pork bones with meat!).


Many good noodles shops in Sài gòn, I tried different places but I do agree with my friend - here is one of the best houses!
So if you want to try, Minh Ký Mì Gia at 36 Hoàng Sa, Da Kao in dist 1 or just follow the Canal to find it! (kidding!)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...