Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

Vietnamese udon in Hue style!

It's funny when I realize a combination of three facts in the name of this post: Vietnamese, udon (Japanese) and Hue style (central Vietnam)!
I always call bánh canh - Vietnamese udon, I tried different bánh canh in Sài gòn but few days ago for the first time I tried bánh canh in Huế style! Quite different from the others, esp. the soup and bánh canh itself.


Bánh canh in Huế style here - the noodles are very glutinous, quite sticky but tasty! Usually we have other bánh canh with crab, flower crab or pork knuckle, even famous bánh canh with snakehead - the noodles are different, softer and not that glutinous! I quite like it when chewy it my mouth! The glutinous texture reminds me of another famous traditional savory cake from Huế "bánh bột lọc"!


Here bánh canh is served with crab meat ball that you see in the above photo, some cooked shrimps (they are quite tiny so I missed to take photos!) and pork knuckle! The soup is spicy, but not very so don't worry if you are not chili lover! Tasty but to me a bit salty for the early morning! Usually we say later in the day the soup may be saltier but we went there around 8:30 in the morning! But anyway good soup!


I also like the crab ball, but the shrimps - a bit disappointed as they are so tiny! I may prefer one big shrimp than few of little ones! My friend is from Huế that's why whenever we go for breakfast he always suggests to have bún bò Huế - beef noodles in a Huế style! I didn't try bún bò here, so no comments, but seeing my friend adding a lot of fresh chilies to his bowl, I knew that the dish is not spicy enough for him!
If you want to try something different, this could be the one, far from downtown, located in a quiet and nice corner of new town - Phú Mỹ Hưng! O Tem seems a good choice for Huế dish lovers in this upscale neighborhood!


O Tem, R1, 96 Hưng Phước 3, Phú Mỹ Hưng, dist.7 Tel: 54102655 - 54103651 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...