Pages

Thursday, June 07, 2012

Vietnamese kebab!

My last time to try kebab was few years ago!
I don't know much about this specific bread, where it comes from, what does it mean "kebab"...
but I love it. There was time when I traveled, kebab was my breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Now in Sài gòn I can have doner kebab in a Vietnamese style!
The first kebab stall could be in the popular and famous backpack area in Phạm Ngũ Lão street, but I never try it there. I tried it near to my office place!


I can't compare Vietnamese kebab with the original as I already have enough time to forget how does it taste - the last original kebab that I had in Queenstown, New Zealand in 2009! I think the taste is different, from the bread to the meat! By the way here we mostly don't eat lamb!   


But Vietnamese version in Sài gòn is also good, not only to me but also to many friends that I recommend to try! Different from our traditional bread, Vietnamese kebab filled with veggies salad, roasted chicken and mayo sauce...We don't have much choice about the sauce and the meat here, chicken or some time pork with only mayo sauce!


Anyway, what I like the most is the combination between warm crispy bread with cold veggies mixed with tasty mayo, that we don't have in our traditional bread!
These days it seems kebab becomes more popular, I can find it not only in those places where many tourist walk around but also at different spots in the city...


I used to buy from a kebab stall in the corner of Nguyễn Thượng Hiền and Nguyễn Thị Minh Khai streets! In the beginning it was 18,000 VND but 2 months ago the price went up to 23,000 VND!

Hope some day somewhere in the walking streets (no cars, no motorbikes!) right in the center of Sài gòn we will see an old Turk in his traditional costume, standing behind Doner kebab stall, cutting the roasted lamb from a vertical rotating spit and selling the original kebab in pita bread!
It would be interesting to taste it in Sài gòn where is also famous for bread in their own style!

2 comments:

  1. Hey guys,

    Now ther is a new Kebab restaurant that's just opened in D7. They do delivery in D7 and D4. It's cheap (from 14,000d) and delicious.
    Menu and info on www.kebabsaithanh.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...