Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Nice - glorious coastal town in Côte d'Azure

My first time in Nice was either in 2003 or 2004, I can't remember exactly. That was only one night stay in a small hostel up on the hill. What left in my memory from that trip was a next morning walk somewhere around my place, a nice and quiet neighbourhood.
I came back to Nice this time with 2-night stay, my boutique hotel was right in the heart of Nice, one street behind the most famous, probably the most prestigious hotel in Nice - Le Negresco. From my hotel to Nice's main boulevard "La Promenade des Anglais" - only 2 minutes walk.

                      Le Negresco - the jewel of Nice Ville in his centennial celebrations 

Living in Asia and I used to stay in different super fine hotels around the region, I had to admit that the value of hotel like Le Negresco based not on those criteria that we are familiar with in Asia.
Le Negresco is relatively small to its 5-star standard, no pool, no spa, but if consider its 100-year-old history, its location, the collection of rare paintings, art objects displayed inside the hotel - Yes! And especially a special favour to all hotel's guests - all kind of pets are welcome!
Le Negresco has a special place in heart of many VIPs, but not for those expect some spacious space. The hotel owner, Jeanne Augier - in her 90 year old, who spent more than a half of century taking care of this hotel that her father bought for her as gift in 1957.

                  A statue of Jazz Great Louie Armstrong sit tall in the front of the hotel.

                 Le Negresco at night on La promenade des Anglais - main boulevard in Nice.

Under her long management Le Negresco has been considered one of the most prestigious hotels in Nice. Several billionaires tried to acquire this hotel, whatever the price they proposed, Jeanne Augier always turned down all. But without any heir, except those many dogs that she keeps in her flat on the top of the hotel, no one really know what is the future destiny of Le Negresco.

                  La promenade des Anglais - the symbol of Nice Ville. 

Nice reminds me of our Vũng Tàu, similar landscape, scenery - the deep blue ocean on one side, on another - the mountain, the hills, but unfortunately, Vũng Tàu, standing in front of the crossroads - either being an industrial town with oil exploitation or a touristic centre, didn't know where to turn. I was disappointed when seeing Vũng Tàu in my recent trip with friends last month. Hope I will come back later with Vũng Tàu story as I had an unforgettable childhood's memory in this place.

                       The pedestrian sidewalk along La Promenade des Anglais and the beach.

                 The picturesque coastline, the beautiful azure sky...but the water was too cold for me    

Nice's weather was hot in mid September, I did expect a bit cooler but nope. I was almost exhausted in my autumn warm clothes, so my first thing to do in Nice was to get a short and sandals...I had a habit, whenever I was close to the beach, I definitely stepped into the sea water, to feel it, if I had no time to dip myself in it. I went down to the beach, tried to touch my first feeling with Mediterranean sea but I changed my mind, water was way too cold.

                      The empty beach even in the hot sunshine afternoon...

Nice used to be a part of Italy, but given to France in 17-18th century, that's why Nice still has an Italian name - Nissa or Nissa La Bella. Yes, Nice is indisputably beautiful town...especially the old town that I had only two nights, not enough, to discover.

                      Dinner time - a restaurant on the beach, it seemed not really busy...

In the evening the weather was cooler, I decided to take a walk along the beach and La Promedade des Anglais. Actually it was quite empty around this area at night, the restaurant here was also not fully occupied. It seemed everyone in town rushed to the old quarter of Nice - Vieux Nice. So on the half way along the beach I took a left turn to the old town.

                   I met some artists on my way to the old town...

                   Another one - created his painting with difference tools, including the fire...

                            Jack Sparrow landed in his new film location - the Golden Age of Nice 

Finally I reached to Place Masséna - the central square in Nice, it was a huge place with various activities: cyclo service for city tour, street performers...the place looked impressive with 7 statues, in different poses, sitting 10 meters above the ground, with colour changing...it was really cool!

   Seven of illumined, colour-changing statues by famous sculptor Jaume Plensa  

                The cyclo on Place Masséna, a special place in heart for Nice's habitants - the Niçois

                   Love this game - water balloon in Place Masséna 

                     Mirror of water with 128 water jets not far from Place Masséna 

                      The old town of Nice - people started coming out for dinner...
           
                         Everywhere I went, always crowded...


                     and here - the other busy part of the old town - Place Rossetti 

                      and another...seemed everyone in Nice only gathered in this old town... 

                 Fenocchio ice cream - one of the most famous ice cream shops in Nice 

I passed by this Fenocchio shop, what I noticed first was the crowd, it was a long, confusing queue so I was hesitating to queue for it, I did have too much ice cream along my journey in France, later in Italy. I decided to skip, but then I regretted not to taste it as this brand, a family business since 1966, has so many flavours beyond my imagination such as : jasmine, flower of orange tree, rosemary, tomato-basilic, vanilla & pink pepper...I found it only after back home!

Next morning I had a long day tour in a small group of visitors, we were visiting Cannes, Antibes, Monaco and some villages on the way back to Nice. So I decided to go back to my hotel but I didn't forget to grab some favourite fruits from the street stall for tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...