Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Hồ Thị Kỷ - the flower market in the midnight, before Tết

This flower market not far from my place, 5-10' walk, probably, but I only heard about it 15 years ago. I've been to this market few times but only to a shop, right at the entrance, I never went further  inside...Tonight when I decided to go there almost before midnight, as I know this market could be very busy at this time, right before Tết...I was right and so surprised of the market size. It's bigger, much bigger then I thought. Wherever I turn, left or right, I always see an alley leading to another shops...I felt as I got lost in this labyrinth.

                    Bunch of 10 sunflowers - 100,000 VND 

Here are some pictures of this market, 2 days before Tết, very busy even at night. People coming here for the most popular flowers, but at some shops you may find very expensive ones...

                   Before Tết - the demand for flowers is huge, look at how people carrying their purchase. 

                       Here - the most beautiful sunflower...

                         And here - the most expensive flower - 70-80 USD per bouquet 

                    One of the most favourite flowers for home decoration - Lily or Trumpet flower 

                      Even you can find some Tulips here  

                      The flower porter...

                            Roses - not favourite for Tết, I guess! 

               Not only flowers, but they also sell those "supporting" plants for flower arrangement...

                          Interesting protection packaging...

                         All kinds of daisies here....

                      Gerbera, daisy family but here we still call "Hoa Đồng Tiền" (Coin flower!?) 

                        Lilies - everywhere, mostly white but pink could be most favourite...

                   Gladioli on the left - used to be a favourite ones...

                       Some shops busy, some quite quiet...

                For Tết, here we prefer the yellow or red - symbol for prosperity...



                      Carnation, Hoa Cẩm Chướng, in different colours...

                     No idea how to call this one...some not in their natural colour...

             
It's a huge, incredibly enormous demand for flowers during these days, if we see how many floral markets in Sàigon, I can't imagine how big is the supply, coming not only from the highland Đà Lạt but also from the Mekong Delta where there are some famous flower villages...My next post will be a flower festival in Tao Đàn Park - an annual event, alway happening before Tết and last for a week. Will see you soon! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...