Pages

Sunday, April 03, 2016

Little sponge cake with salted egg...

It seems we have so many “eating trends” these days among the youth, I remember those lemon tea, fried potato “tornado”, almond lychee sweet soup, cheese stick… everywhere in town, but after sometime some of them quietly disappeared and replaced by others – like "coconut ice cream with sticky rice"…or recently “sponge cake with salted eggs” or “shaking mango, shaking potato”! I admire that diversity  of our street foods and hope the best will stay for a little bit longer…

               If speaking today language of the youth - we would call these tiny cake "legendary"! 

One of those popular in these days is the sponge cake with salted eggs, actually only egg york. I saw several carts selling this cake at the corner not far from my place, I was curious and would love to try but I didn’t until my trip to Vũng Tàu last week with friends.

                  A plate of cheese and a box of salted egg york 

I saw a big shop in the corner, just opposite our another legendary “Bánh kht gc cây vú sa” and surprised to learn that these tiny sponge cake with salted egg already in the market since 1968…I can’t remember but what I know that we have the “salted” sponge cake with Chinese sausage, dried shredded pork…big one!

            The cheese has been added first then the egg york on top! 

Actually not only with salted eggs but also with cheese, look like a small piece of “La vache qui rit”!

When I stand next to a guy who is baking cake, he offered one, right from the mould…still warm. It was good, quite tasty, but the cake texture itself a bit dry! 

            You can buy a box of 10 or just a quick takeaway with shredded pork at 40,000 VND! 

                On the shop signboard "our product first appeared in Vũng Tàu since 1968"...

I was wondering if the business started since 1968 in Vũng Tàu, why I never heard of this cake before and suddenly it became "hot delicacy" in Saigon and favourite among the youth. I'm studying pastry now so I know how profitable when making these little sponge cake in almost 50 years, if the business was blooming like now since the 1960s, the family would make a substantial fortune!   Anyway we tried the cake after "bánh khọt"  as our dessert, we found it...just ok, a good snack on the way back to Saigon! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...