Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Another bike ride to discover

It's not easy to ride the bike during the hot season in Sài gòn!
And it's more difficult to ride it in the rain!
This year, too hot! Last week, already twice, the storm clouds gathered and the rain poured down to the city! Early!  The raining season usually starts in Jun or July!

Now only mid of March!

As always I depart from my place in Nguyễn Trải street. Turn right. Right again.
I follow Lê Hồng Phong street to district 10!

Remember? I want to catch grilled sweet potato vendors!
Yes, this time I got them in Sư Vạn Hạnh street. Few of them.

I remember when I was kid, with my brother , curiously, we love to grill small potatoes by putting them
in the charcoal oven! I never knew at that time. My childhood game could become a popular street food. Today!


Grill potato right on the street! Not only potatoes but also corn!
Famous grilled corn with greased green onion!

Grilled potato seems better than cooked-in-water ones! Sweetness still there!


Continue my ride and not far from grilled potato stalls.
I found another food on fire...but this time small bird! Roasted quail! (chim cút).

In 70s, I remember my mom who loves to keep birds at home, singing birds and quails,  and being just a little boy, I used to wait impatiently, next to the quail's cage to get their eggs.

Checking the black spots on the egg, I tried to find out which egg belongs to which quail!

Impossible!



I never taste the grilled or roasted quail.
I feel not much meat from this little bird, but it seems people love to have it with bread or for drinking party at home with friends!

The irresistible smell from the stall could stop any passersby!



Keep riding.
From Sư Vạn Hạnh street, then follow a new street to Lý Thường Kiệt.

Exhausted from the heat, and riding!
Seeing a stall with palmyra palm fruits, I seemed to revive!


At first I didn't know palmyra palm until I tried the juice in the bottle (10,000 VND/ bottle)
It's nice! It's sweet with good smell!


But I heard the juice not from the fruit, from the flower stem (pedicel - cuống hoa) on the top of the tree!
Each palm can give 30-40 liters of juice per day!
Curiously, I got two packs with the meat from this fruit.

We need to add sugar or cook as sweet dessert soup!


Otherwise the flavor is just bland!

I found a video about Palmyra Palm juice (by Do Thanh Hai). Quite interesting! 
Thanks cppcanada for uploading! 

 


After palmyra palm drink, I continue riding my bike to Tân Bình market.
Tried to find out the area near to my old nanny's house - specialized in selling different foods from Central. I found it.

And realized how many things in this city we probably never know! It's endlessly changing every day!


New things. New people. New problems!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...