Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Street snack - new and old - Part Five

I don't know since when we have this strange snack ! Scorched rice!

Vietnam is a rice culture country. In the old days, when we cooked rice not with hi-tech rice cooker, but on charcoal stove. We always got a crispy, dark yellow burned rice layer at the bottom. That was the best from our family kitchen!

Scorched rice with pork floss (cơm cháy chà bông)
My first scorched rice as snack could come from my old Malaysian colleague. He got that after his holidays in his home country.But. I don't like the taste: sweet, not sweet, savory, not savory!
Even nothing in between! And sweet but spicy! Strange to me!


Until one ...beautiful day I first tried our scorched rice. Wow! Better for me!

I think around 10 years ago, this unusual snack was booming.
Many rumors. Related to hygiene issues. Better don't hear! Hope it's improved now!

We say scorched rice, but it's actually fried glutinous rice! Only glutinous rice makes snack more crispy! More tasty with pork floss, chili, green onion! We bite, we chew and hear the yummy sound!
Good snack!

Somewhere in Mekong Delta, they sell this snack as fresh one. We order. The vendor  takes 1 or 2 fried rice layers (or slice!) , add some pork floss or stir fry dried shrimp, greased green onion...on top! Voilà!

Spicy cake (bánh cay) made from ground cassava mixed with curry, saffron powder and chili!
I realise I have so many favorite street snacks in my childhood!
The other day, I shared with you about honeycomb cake (bánh bò), deep fried chinese donut (bánh tiêu)...and now another! Spicy cake!
Make from ground cassava mixed with curry powder, Indian saffron powder, plain flour, chili, green onion... at some other places for more luxury taste, they add probably dried shrimp!

And deep fried!

Chili is important. That's the name of the cake!
Crispy from outside, soft, chewy inside and hot, hot, hot!
This snack is a favorite for many school students, esp. in cold days!
Originated from Sài gòn, now bánh cay found a new home in Hà nội, where the weather is much colder!
Where you found bánh cay, you will find and deep fried banana! They are good neighbours!    

The last street snack in this post is no longer the same as I keep in my mind from my high school times!
I may never forget the image of the old Chinese hawker in his hat, baking, selling this cake from his old cart. At that time, the cake was bigger, tastier, softer, slightly darker from outside and inside - the filling of shredded coconut mixed with peanut, brown sugar - was nicer!

Another childhood snack - bánh bò dừa from outside! 
I can't remember how to call this cake exactly but some others said "bánh bò dừa"(literally means honeycomb cake with coconut!).

and from inside! 
Wish to find the good ones. To get back a good memory of my childhood!

Some one told me there is one street hawker in front of supermarket Daiso in Nam Kỳ Khởi Nghĩa street. Another one in the corner of Kỳ Đồng and Trương Định street. And one in the corner of Tản Đà and An Điềm street in China town!


Are they good ? I don't know!

I may not try as I don't want to be upset again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...