Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Vietnamese udon with flower crab (bánh canh ghẹ)

Udon?
I call jokingly our "bánh canh" udon, because it's thick, it's fat compared to the other our very thin noodles!

Last month on the way to the restaurant where we tried specialities from Phan Thiet, I saw a small
stall, at the corner, next to bridge "Bông" (Cầu Bông - Đinh Tiên Hoàng street), on the right hand side when we just across the bridge.

Open only from 4:00 PM.
Even some customers come early and wait...to be the first ones!
I'm one of them!



We usually love udon with crab (bánh canh cua). It's very popular, but we don't have much udon with flower crab.
Flower crab is thiner than usual crab and its smell, to me, lighter!
Some people prefer flower crab than crab, they say"sweeter taste"!
But to me, flower crab's shell is easier to break or bite while eating! That's better!


They serve two kinds of bánh canh ghẹ:
With whole flower crab or only with its meat! 
With crab cake (chả cua) or without! 
I love crab, but eating it is not easy! In most case I prefer only meat without any shell.
But today I did order the whole flower crab.
It means to eat, I need to work hard to break, to bite and usually to waste a lot of meat!  


Most important to have good soup is super super fresh crab. 
And the crab should be full of fresh meat. 

The flower crab's soup is nice and lighter than usual crab (bánh canh cua).
Not thick. In the soup I still have one big crab cake (chả cua), few cubes of pork blood and mushrooms!

Crab cake (chả cua) is good but a bit hard. I may prefer more softer, more spicy with pepper flavor!

Pork blood. I don't know why but many people like it. Soft, half chewy, half hard.
Simple cooked blood's taste!

Mushroom makes soup sweeter!



Together with bánh canh ghẹ, I did order sugarcane juice!
The best way to quench my thirst! Especially, fresh one! Superb!


Total damage for the meal is 59,000 VND! Good meal & good price! 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...