Pages

Friday, April 06, 2012

"Big" noodle or Vietnamese "udon"!


Bánh canh! literally soup cake!? I really have no idea why we call like this!
To me it's special because the size of the noodle!
Like sumo size compared to other our thin noodles! And chewy! I always prefer chewy texture!
Extremely popular for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Different variations with different recipes: crab, shrimp, flower crab, pork knuckle, snakehead fish...

I love to use a word "udon" to describe our "big"noodle!
May be Japanese can't not find any similarity between the two noodles, but anyway for me simply to say "udon" and it sounds lovely!

Let's start with the most popular!

Vietnamese "udon" with crab and pork knuckle (bánh canh cua giò heo)

               Vietnamese "udon" with crab at 48 Ngô Đức Kế, dist 1!  

Actually this is a combination of two dishes: with crab (bánh canh cua) and with pork knuckle (bánh canh giò heo)! You can add pork knuckle to crab dish but not the other way around!
 
I do prefer noodle with crab. I love the color of the dish.
Dark orange or red thick soup with strong crab flavor! Don't forget to add a little bit of chopped fresh chili
and squeeze some lemon juice! Spicy and sour flavors make your crab "udon"much more tasty!

Depends on the place, they may add crab meat, deep fried fish cake, or pork ham (chả), cooked shrimp!
Big noodle with crab probably comes from central, or Huế (our former feudal capital)!
Here, they love to create noodle by own recipe and for that reason we can't find it anywhere else in the market!

Vietnamese "udon" with pork knuckle (bánh canh giò heo) 


                Vietnamese udon with pork knuckle at Bánh canh Trảng Bàng  


 I have to say I don't like this dish served at "bánh xèo Đinh Công Tráng" where is famous only for their
 pancake, not other dishes! Not good! Not good and not good! Better try only their bánh xèo!

 Even we say pork knuckle, but you can select some slices of cooked pork or a whole big
 knuckle as at Bánh canh Trảng Bàng! Here, the "udon" or big noodle made from special rice flour,
 different from other "udon" in town!

Pork meat from Tây Ninh is famous for their freshness, a tiny tiny bowl of fish sauce with black pepper is always served together. Deep pork meat, either knuckle or slices in the sauce before eating!


Vietnamese "udon" with snakehead fish (bánh canh cá lóc)  

This's my first time to try this noodle. Snakehead fish noodle!

The stall is located in quite large alley in Phạm Văn Hai St. (area near to Tan Son Nhat airport).
Instead of using noodle from market, here they made their own noodle. They boil it separately and only add to the soup before it's served!

Noodle itself is bit hard, chewy, the soup is very tasty, quite spicy and the fish is simply awesome!
Heard this speciality from Huế! That's why you always find a bowl of chili powder nearby as people from Huế is big big spicy lover!  

   Vietnamese "udon" with snakehead fish at 12/5 Phạm Văn Hai, dist. Tân Bình (tel: 08 38 909 759)!  

We still have some other "bánh canh", with different recipes, different origin! 
But I always remember one kind of bánh canh in my childhood. 
Whenever I have my pocket money, I always go to the market, not far from my parents house, and buy my favorite bánh canh.  
I think it was big noodle with shrimp in thick savory coconut milk soup
Strong black pepper flavor, a little bit spicy! These days I don't know where I can try this big noodle with shrimp again. I will surely post the picture when I have a chance to taste it

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...