Pages

Monday, April 09, 2012

China town - "crossing the street" saté beef noodle!

We say - Chinese can do everything! That's true!
I'm writing about street food, but I never think that the stall on one side of the street and we are eating on the other side. The waiter keep serving customers by crossing the street! And the parking lot is inside a garden of some Chinese pagoda!

That's famous saté beef noodle I tried last night with an old friend in China town! At 117 Triệu Quang Phục, district 5!



Saté beef noodle seems only popular in district 5 or Chinatown (Chợ Lớn), I don't see it in some other areas as district 1 (Sài gòn center) or  district 3 (considered as an upscale area!).

Here they serve yellow noodle or white noodle (hủ tiếu) with saté sauce and beef! We ordered both and together with beef meat balls! The later is just so so! But saté noodle is good!

           My yellow noodle in saté sauce soup with tender beef, cucumber, tomato, culantro (not cilantro!)


Whenever we say "saté" we always associate with oily, spicy, lemon grass, chili, garlic, dried shrimp, peanut...a mix of many strong flavors!
I from time to time prepare saté sauce at home as the original saté  from the shop - quite spicy (as we say in Vietnamese - spice that tore your tongue!). I prefer less!
But saté noodle here is not that hot!
The sauce is thick, in yellow, not very strong peanut flavor (ground roasted peanut thicken the sauce and make it more tasty!) Mixed with unusual veggie like cucumber, tomato, culantro (ngò gai). The beef is tender! I ordered for myself yellow noodle, my friend - white noodle!
   
             My friend's white noodle with exactly the same thing! 

We went there last night around 6:30 PM, not crowded but this place should be very popular as I heard from my friend that he is already familiar with this stall since he was just a teenager, now he's in his early 40s! Nearly 30 years!
By the way, it's street food but the price seems quite high for street!
55,000 VND (nearly 3 USD) per bowl!

              The stall is on the other side of the street and we are sitting across the road!


             Family dinner out, this place should be very familiar! 

Where to eat ? 
117 Triệu Quang Phục, dist. 5, HCMC Open from 5:00 PM till late at night. 
55,000 VND/ bowl! 

2 comments:

  1. Look so yummy! Never tried sate noodles! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...