Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Rice noodles with grilled pork in Southern style

Week ago I tried "bún chả Hà Nội", famous street food from North Việt Nam, I said that's very similar to Southern style rice noodles with grilled pork (bún thịt nướng)!

Similar but different! 

So what's similar and what's different?
Similar! Same concept: rice noodles, grilled pork, veggie and sweet fish sauce!

             Rice noodles with grilled pork in Southern style (bún thịt nướng)    


And different! 
In South we don't soak grilled pork in fish sauce! And we don't have "chả" ground pork cake!  
Fish sauce is not that light as in Hà Nội! I should say I prefer Southern taste! Richer! 
Veggie. We have additional bean sprout and cucumber as a must veggie for this dish. Hà Nội - no!  
Roasted peanut for topping! Hà Nội - no!    
Green onion stirred in the oil to spread on rice noodles! No for bún chả Hà Nội
Pickled carrot & white radish. Hà Nội version - green papaya! 

Bún thịt nướng super popular street food in Sài gòn. Easy to find around the city, esp. together with grilled pork you can always order deep fried spring rolls! 

This weekend as usual we prepare some good food at home, so I decided to have homemade version of bún thịt nướng! 
Here you go my big bowl of the rice noodles with grilled pork in Southern style! 


At home we prefer pork ribs (less fat!) and most important we marinate pork meat overnight and keep it in the fridge! When it's grilled the meat itself - very tasty!


Besides sweet, sour and spicy fish sauce, I also love roasted peanut for topping, green onion stirred in the oil for spreading on rice noodles. Tasty and crispy peanut makes bún thịt nưóng very different from Hà Nội style!


Veggies. Cucumber and bean sprout. For easy to mix while eating, most veggie have been cut into small strips! Especially cucumber and lettuce!



And eating way also different! We put everything together in a bowl, add a lot of fish sauce, pickled carrot & radish! Don't forget peanut as topping! Mix well and enjoy! 



4 comments:

  1. Mmmm, it seems really tasty - especially the roaster pork.

    I have a question - is it possible for you to make a post about all the fresh herbs that are served with noodles? I never know what I eat - except the pepper and lemon mint. Thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, interesting suggestion! Will look at it more seriously! Meanwhile why don't you check this post http://vietstreetfoods.blogspot.com/2012/04/i-wrap-whole-veggie-garden-in-my-roll.html
      some photos of herbs that we wrap with rice paper! But no names! Sorry!

      Delete
  2. I've seen it:) I've read all of your posts.
    I can recognize some of those herbs (I definitely ate some of them) but I'm really curious about the names, because I'd like to take some of them (seeds) back with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, let's me see what I can do !
      You may have only most popular herbs to go either with "beef noodles" or "rice noodles"!
      By the way not easy to find out all the seeds!
      Thank you very much for reading my posts!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...