Pages

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Last days in South of France - St Paul-de-Vence (Part 2)

I couldn't recall, from my memory, where we went first - Monaco or St Paul de Vence, anyway no matter at all, as all places I visited on that day were close to each others. Saint Paul de Vence was truly a special destination, I found it on the internet while preparing my trip, so I kept it in mind, I was quite excited to learn from the Office of Tourism in Nice that this village included in their 9-hour tour program.

It's a small town on a hill, the history starting from the Middle-age period, back to 10th -12th century, but now became one of the most visited villages due to the modern, contemporary art galleries, museums, art items displayed in the village, art studios, schools...and especially a home to a number of the famous artists, like Marc Chagall or movies celebs. Someone said "This is a paradise for the artists"!  

                Not far from the entrance - a symbolic sculpture on the village's ramparts.  

                 Surrounded by the ramparts built in 15th century by the order of François 1er  

Almost every house here - a gallery - either paintings, sculpture, deco...or some other kind of art that I didn't know how to call it exactly. We had more than hour here, to walk around, to visit galleries, but to be honest I couldn't enter to some places as there was a sign, right at the entrance, "No enter with camera" or they just allowed to take a very few shots. Anyway, I understand when a lot of people taking picture...without buying anything!

                     Quite interesting restaurant "La petite chapelle", right at the entrance to the village


I really like the way the artists displayed the artworks. Very simple. Sometime I even couldn't see the artist, just a cute dog, lying down at the door...Ring the bell, someone will come, the artist or the gallery's owner.

                        A painting displayed at the entrance, under the tree... 

                       Other paintings hung up on the wall...

                    No sign of human, but this cute dog will welcome you to the gallery! 

                    Another gallery, I feel a bit embarrassed if just coming inside for the photo...

                                         anyway I knew how to manage to get a shot from far :) 
 
                    I really like this collection, this gallery could be one of the busiest in the village 

                                          Those unique bronze statue of different sizes 

                                                Life-size 

                      or just desktop-size

                      it would be nice to have this kind of deco objects on desk 


                         not sure about this one but it's a true hard work   

                         interesting, creative idea with the mannequin and the helmet   

                             
I was here during mid September, so not very crowded, I had quite enough time to walk around the village but regretfully I didn't have a guide map or enough information about the galleries, the museums here, in the paradise for the artists, so I just went around around, sometime back to the same spot.
I probably missed a chance to see different deco items displayed within the ramparts or to visit a gallery of the famous painter, houses of those celebs who used to live here. Actually I saw a studio of a French artist, originally Vietnamese, but the studio was closed, ring upon the request, but better not to disturb him with my curiosity!

               An excellent artwork by Luc Trizan - the old camera engraved on the stone. 

It's very interesting to get more details on some artwork that I found in the village like the old camera engraved on the stone by Luc Trizan (source: www.saint-pauldevence.com)

"Luc Trizan keeps the creative flame burning. His family comes from Florence in Tuscany, where working marble and stone is an almost sacred tradition.Luc studied architecture, travelled the world and then settled in Saint-Paul de Vence. He first encountered ochre in the quarries of the Sine Forest in Vence, and learned to work the pale beige material, incrusted with fossils and veined with transparent quartz… like a bunch of golden muscat grapes.

Trizan uses this strong, bright and fascinating rock to take a fresh look at the concept of a work of art. He endeavours to extract images buried deep down in the stone's memory and to transcribe them, to engrave them, to suggest them in polished or raw nuances. He creates a seed of awareness "because perhaps stone has a spirit?". He places man before this raw material and the question of time. "But nature under assault rebels, takes hold of me, floods into me. I instinctively stand still and my sculpture gradually takes on a lasting form…"



                    another item in the corner between houses in the village  


                      or a horse from a thousand of horseshoes 

I was wondering why the artists loved this place so much, but not only St Paul de Vence, many other places in South of France, probably the landscapes, the colourful nature, the azure blue sky, the Mediterranean sea, the mild weather, the sunlight...

                 The landscape in front of St Paul de Vence would be one of the inspirations? 

The 9-hour tour cost me 79 Euros with a nice, pleasant guide-driver, originally from Morocco, Sami.
He speaks good English but kept speaking in French with me as he believed that Vietnamese do speak French...yeah it could be right but only for my parents generation! Saying goodbye to Sami, I promised him to come back to Nice someday. I love this place as many other artists :) !

                                  Me and Sami - at Eze village 

This was my last day in France, I never imagine that I traveled almost around France just in 15 days, all by train, that was an amazing experience. What I had to skip this time was the North-Eastern part of France, as I decided when going down to South, I will continue my journey to Verona, Venice, Florence and Rome. Au revoir, France! But I will see you soon in Verona and especially in incredibly glorious Venice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...