Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

Noodle from Quảng Nôm (Mỳ Quảng)

I was born in Sài gòn, but my mother originally from Quảng Ngãi (Central of Vietnam), she was the first family member moved to Sàigòn in her early 20s, after how many decades surviving in Sàigòn, she still keeps a habit to put traditional rice crackers (bánh tráng) into certain dish with soup wherever she has this chance! And I inherited that habit from her. Yes, in Central of Vietnam, esp.  my mother hometown, Đà Nẵng, people over there love to have rice cracker during meal time! And now you have a chance to try rice crackers with famous noodle: Mỳ Quảng - noodle from Quảng Nam (or Quảng Nôm by Central accent!)
Mỳ Quảng with shrimp

after adding rice cracker and fresh veggies always nearby 
Noodle of mỳ Quảng is different than the other noodles in my previous posts. Made of rice, mixed with some other elements, it's harder, more chewy and the soup also - more spicy and tasty!
Mỳ Quảng served with very little little soup, and to my surprise it can be served either with beef, or shrimp, or crab, or a combination of beef, shrimp, crab, pork...! I have no preference, but today my mỳ Quảng is with shrimp. Shrimp is not just cooked but braised a bit in advance! Tasty! I like vegetables here, fresh and variety of several different veggies.

Rice cracker 
















            To eat mỳ Quảng, squeeze a lemon a bit, don't forget to put rice crackers, well mix and here you go! Taste it!
An extra bowl of soup always nearby in case you prefer to have more soup for your noodle!
Mỳ Quảng becomes more and more popular in Sài Gòn, there is even a branded shop in green color named by this noodle, I've never been there, hope it's good! You can give it a try!
But where I go today is my first time, Phú Hương in Tân Bình district, quiet area, they open from 7:00AM to 1:00PM and then from 04:00 PM to 09:00PM! If you go there in between 1 and 4 -no service!
Here they also serve different dishes, some fish that I never heard their name and famous speciality from Hội An - cao lầu, I didn't try but will do next time!

In case you want to try! 


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...